Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff
- Ph.D. in Physics and Mathematics, Lomonosov Moscow State University
- M.S. Physical Chemistry, Mendeleev Institute of Chemical Technology, Moscow, Russia
- My research involves studies of growth mechanisms and physical properties of single crystals grown from low-temperature solutions. The main focus of current studies is concentrated on synthesis and applications of new organic materials (crystals and plastics) for detection and discrimination of different types of radiation. Previous work included development of methods for accelerated crystal growth for production of uniquely large crystals for the world largest laser, National Ignition Facility (NIF).
In 1993 Dr. Zaitseva joined Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to lead the scientific development of the rapid growth technology for large-scale (>50 cm) KDP and DKDP crystals installed and operating now in the National Ignition Facility (NIF) laser. Dr. Zaitseva has been the PI for multiple projects on development of new classes of organic scintillator materials for radiation detection funded by DHS/DNDO, and DOE NA-22 and DTRA offices. She and her team conducted extensive survey and studies of organic materials capable of neutron/gamma Pulse Shape Discrimination (PSD). The results led to discovery of new single crystal organic scintillators and the first plastic scintillators with efficient PSD, transferred to industry for commercial production.
Dr. Zaitseva received worldwide recognition for her work in studies and development of new materials. She is a recipient of the International Robert Laudise Award in crystal growth (2010), two 100 R&D awards for the development of Rapid growth technology for production of large-scale crystals (1994) and the first PSD plastic scintillators for neutron detection (2012), numerous LLNL Directorate awards (1994-2013), DHS/DNDO award for development of new crystals for radiation detection and a West Regional Award for Outstanding Commercialization Success for Solution Grown Organic Scintillators. She is an author of more than 100 publications and 10 patents.
- N.P. Zaitseva, A.M. Glenn, A.N. Mabe, M.L. Carman, C.R. Hurlbut, J.W. Inman, and S.A. Payne, “Recent developments in plastic scintillators with pulse shape discrimination,” Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research A 889 (2018) 97–104.
- N. Zaitseva, A. Glenn, L. Carman, H. P. Martinez, R. Hatarik, H. Klapper, and S. Payne, "Scintillation properties of solution-grown trans-stilbene single crystals," Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 789 (2015) 8-15.
- N. Zaitseva, A. Glenn, H. Martinez, L. Carman, I. Pawełczak, M. Faust, and S. Payne, “Pulse Shape Discrimination with Lithium-containing Organic Scintillators”, Nucl. Inst. and Meth. A 729 (2013) 747–754.
- N. Zaitseva, B.L. Rupert, I. Pawełczak, A. Glenn, H.P. Martinez, L. Carman, M. Faust, N. Cherepy, and S. Payne, “Plastic scintillators with efficient neutron/gamma pulse shape discrimination,” Nucl. Inst. Meth. A (2012) 88-93.
- N. Zaitseva, A. Glenn, L. Carman, R. Hatarik, S. Hamel, M. Faust, B. Schabes, N. Cherepy, and S. Payne, “Pulse Shape Discrimination in Impure and Mixed Single-Crystal Organic Scintillators,” IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci., 58, (2011) 3411-3420.
- N. Zaitseva, L. Carman, A. Glenn, J. Newby, M. Faust, S. Hamel, N. Cherepy, and S. Payne, “Application of solution techniques to rapid growth of organic crystals,” J. Cryst. Growth 314 (2011) 163–170.
- N. P. Zaitseva, J. Newby, S. Hamel, L. Carman, M. Faust, V. Lordi, N.J. Cherepy, W. Stoeffl, and S.A. Payne, “Neutron detection with single crystal organic scintillators,” Proc. of SPIE Vol. 7449 744911-(1-10) (2009)
- N. Zaitseva, J. Newby, G. Hull, C. Saw, L. Carman, N. Cherepy, and S. Payne, “Growth and Properties of Lithium Salicylate Single Crystals,” Crystal Growth &Design, 9(8), 3799-3802 (2009).
- N. Zaitseva, S. Hamel, Z.R. Dai, C. Saw, A. Williamson, and G. Galli, “Effect of nitrogen on the stability of Si nanocrystals produced by decomposition of alkyl silanes,” J. Phys. Chem. C 2008, 112, 3585-3590.
- N. Zaitseva, Z.R. Dai, F.R. Leon, and D. Krol, "Optical Properties of CdSe Superlattices," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127(29), 10221-10226 (2005).
- N. Zaitsea, L. Manna, D. Gerion, and C.K. Saw, "Precipitation of Selenium from CdSe Nanocrystal Solutions," Adv. Mater. 2005, 17 (11), 1321-1324.
- N. Zaitseva, J. Harper, D. Gerion, and C. Saw, "Unseeded growth of Germanium Nanowires by Vapor-Liquid-Solid mechanism," Appl. Phys. Let., 86, 053105 (2005).
- N. Zaitseva, L. Carman, "Rapid growth of KDP and DKDP crystals," Review article in Progress of Crystal Growth and Characterization of Materials 43 1-118 (2001).
- N. Zaitseva, I. Smolsky, and L. Carman, "Growth phenomena in the surface layer and step generation from the edges of faceted crystals," J.Cryst. Growth 222 (2001) 249-262.
- N.P. Zaitseva, J.J. DeYoreo, M.R. Dehaven, R.V. Vital, K.E. Montgomery, M. Richardson and L.J. Atherton, "Rapid growth of large-scale (40-55 cm) KH2PO4 crystals," J.Cryst.Growth, 180 255-262 (1997).