Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- B.S. Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), 2003
- Ph.D Chemistry, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2010
Currently, my research interests include using first principles molecular dynamics to simulate the formation of the solid electrolyte interphase (SEI) between the electrolyte and anode in lithium ion batteries. The SEI plays an important role in determining the performance of Li ion batteries and having a better understanding of its composition and evolution will provide new insights into future design improvements for Li ion batteries.
I'm also interested in using ab initio methods to understand and manipulate the electronic and mechanical properties of graphene in order to build new nanoelectromechanical systems (NEMS). Previously, I have demonstrated through ab initio calculations that piezoelectricity can be engineered into nonpiezoelectric graphene by surface adsorption of atoms. Piezoelectric magnitudes have been shown to be comparable to existing bulk piezoelectric materials such as alpha-quartz. We anticipate that this work will open up the possibility for the creation of new nanoelectromechanical devices such as FETs, relays and sensors, which utilize this engineered piezoelectric effect in graphene to dynamically control mechanical motion at the nanoscale level.
- J. Ye, M. T. Ong, T. W. Heo, P. G. Campbell, M. A. Worsley, Y. Liu, S. J. Shin, S. Charnvanichborikarn, M. J. Matthews, M. Bagge-Hansen, J. R. I. Lee, B. C. Wood, Y. M. Wang, Universal roles of hydrogen in electrochemical performance of graphene: high rate capacity and atomistic origins, Scientific Reports, Accepted (2015).
- J. Wang, M. T. Ong, T. B. Kouznetsova, J. M. Lenhardt, T. J. Martínez, S. L. Craig, Catch and Release: Reaction Dynamics from a Freed Tension Trapped Transition State, Journal of Organic Chemistry, DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.5b01493 (2015)
- J. Wang, T. B. Kouznetsova, Z. Niu, M. T. Ong, H. M. Klukovich, A. L. Rheingold, T. J. Martínez, S. L. Craig, Inducing and Quantifying Forbidden Reactivity with Single Molecule Polymer Mechanochemistry, Nature Chemistry, 7, 323-327 (2015).
- M. T. Ong, O. Verners, E. W. Draeger, A. C. T. van Duin, V. Lordi, J. E. Pask, Lithium Ion Solvation and Diffusion in Bulk Organic Electrolytes from First Principles and Classical Reactive Molecular Dynamics, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 119 (4), 1535-1545 (2014).
- A. L. Hsu, R. J. Koch, M. T. Ong, W. Fang, M. Hofmann, K. K. Kim, T. Seyller, M. S. Dresselhaus, E. J. Reed, J. Kong, T. Palacios, Surface-Induced Hybridization between Graphene and Titanium, ACS Nano, 8 (8), 7704-7713 (2014).
- M. T. Ong, K. N. Duerloo, E. J. Reed, The Effect of Hydrogen and Fluorine Coadsorption on the Piezoelectric Properties of Graphene, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117 (7), 3615-2620 (2013).
- K. N. Duerloo, M. T. Ong, E. J. Reed, Intrinsic Piezoelectricity in Two-Dimensional Materials, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 3 (19), 2871-2876 (2012).
- M. T. Ong and E. J. Reed, Engineered Piezoelectricity in Graphene, ACS Nano, 6 (2), 1387-1394 (2012).
- J. M. Lenhardt, J. W. Ogle, M. T. Ong, R. Choe, T. J. Martinez, S. L. Craig, Reactive Cross-Talk between Adjacent Tension-Trapped Transition States, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 133 (10), 3222-3225 (2011).
- J. M. Lenhardt, M. T. Ong, R. Choe, C. R. Evenhuis, T. J. Martínez, S. L. Craig, Trapping a Diradical Transition State by Mechanochemical Polymer Extension, Science, 329 (5995), 1057-1060 (2010).
- M. J. Kryger, M. T. Ong, S. A. Odom, N. R. Sottos, S. R. White, T. J. Martinez, J. S. Moore, Masked Cyanoacrylates Unveiled by Mechanical Force, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 132 (13), 4558-4559 (2010).
- D. A. Davis, A. Hamilton, J. Yang, L. D. Cremar, D. Van Gough, S. L. Potisek, M. T. Ong, P. V. Braun, T. J. Martínez, S. R. White, J. S. Moore, N. R. Sottos, Force-induced activation of covalent bonds in mechanoresponsive polymeric materials, Nature, 459, 68 – 72 (2009).
- M. T. Ong, J. Leiding, H. Tao, A. M. Virshup, T. J. Martínez, First Principles Dynamics and Minimum Energy Pathways for Mechanochemical Ring Opening of Cyclobutene, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 131 (18), 6377 – 6379 (2009).
- J. D. Coe, M. T. Ong, B. G. Levine, T. J. Martínez, On the Extent and Connectivity of Conical Intersection Seams and the Effects of Three-State Intersections, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 112 (49), 12559 – 12567 (2008).
- G. Ho, M. T. Ong, K. J. Caspersen, E. A. Carter, Energetics and kinetics of vacancy diffusion and aggregation in shocked aluminum via orbital-free density functional theory, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 9, 4951 – 4966 (2007).